Smart Teaching: Understanding what a brain can’t ignore
This education infographic breaks down the way the brain learns and how the brain forgets as related to learning. To better understand how the brain functions, take a moment an read this infographic. Don’t worry, you will most likely forget 90% of it within an hour and you can come back and read it again later.
- Half of our brain focuses on processing visual information
- We process visuals much faster than we process text (which is why we love infographics)
- We all forget 90% of what we learn in a month, most of us in 1 hours
- Getting and keeping the attention of students is critical.
Here are a few examples of stick teaching mentioned and the scripture verses the author used as references.
Awake the Intrigue
But he gave them strict order no to tell the others about him. – Mark 3:12
Begin & End often
Jesus replied, “Let us go somewhere else – to the nearby villages – so I can preach there also.” Mark 1:38
Draw them in with Stories
He began to teach them many things in parables – Mark 4:2
Focus on the Big Idea
For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as ransom for many. – Mark 10:45
Why do these work?
- Interrupts make the brain check in.
- The brain is wired for authentic stories.
- The brain doesn’t need unnecessary details.
- Teach unpredictability, but don’t quit the routines.
Thanks to Chis Lema for this infographic.
Download this infographic.